This month’s developments include:
- We re-launch Community-Wealth.org website and release a new animated film explaining the community wealth building approach.
- The Democracy Collaborative is hiring for the following positions: Office Administrator, Communications Associate, Special Assistant to the Co-Founder,and National Coordinator of Teach-Ins on the Next System.
- Gus Speth, Co-Chair of the Next System Project and a Senior Fellow with The Democracy Collaborative, speaks about the imperative of taking a systemic approach to confront the environmental crises facing us in The Leap. The Next System Project also released a new video featuring MIT Associate Professor of Urban Politics Phillip Thompson.
- We congratulate our partners in the Northwest Area Foundation-funded Learning/Action Lab for Community Wealth Building on several important milestones, as well as the Community Wealth Building Initiative for the launch of its first employee-owned company.
- An article in New Start Magazine examines critical success factors in the development of Cleveland’s Evergreen Cooperatives. Manager of Community Development Programs Sarah McKinley was interviewed in the Polish publication Magazyn Miasta (Cities Magazine).
- Democracy Collaborative Co-Founder Gar Alperovitz contrasts American and European urban challenges in City by City: Dispatches from the American Metropolis, a collection of essays co-published by the culture and politics magazine n+1
- Recommended reads: Locking in the Promise to Buy Local from the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston; Building Momentum from the Ground Up: A Toolkit for Promoting Justice in Policing from the The Center for Popular Democracy and PolicyLink; Increasing Financial Well-Being through Integration: Gaining and Sustaining Housing Stability from CFED; Land Banks and Land Banking: 2nd Edition from the Center for Community Progress.
- Featured websites: Wellspring Collaborative; Future Economy