Happy New Year and welcome to our January www.Community-Wealth.org newsletter. We start 2015 with the following developments:
- Our most recent report A New Anchor Mission for a New Century was profiled earlier this month in Forbes magazine and the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- In an Al Jazeera article, Democracy Collaborative Co-founder Gar Alperovitz argues for a guaranteed income to improve the plight of veterans and in a Truthout article Gar explores the challenges of structuring institutions of justice. Gar and the Collaborative are also cited in an article in Dissent magazine describing Reading, Pennsylvania’s rebuild Reading initiative.
- We share the findings of the National Cooperative Business Association's exploratory journey (Democracy Collaborative Research Director Steve Dubb participated in the delegation) to learn about the conversion of state controlled enterprises into worker-owned cooperative in Cuba.
- In December, our Executive Director Ted Howard presented at the Annual Learning Exchange of the Richmond based B-corp and CDFI, Virginia Community Capital.
- C-W Interview: Ed Whitfield, Fund for Democratic Communities