Research Associate Position
The Democracy Collaborative—democracycollaborative.org—is a national leader in equitable, inclusive, and sustainable development through its Community Wealth Building Initiative. This initiative supports a range of advisory, research and field building activities to transform community and economic development, including research, training, policy development, and community-focused work, to promote an asset-based paradigm of economic development and increase transformative strategies among community stakeholders, anchor institutions, and key policymakers. A key component of this work is documenting and working with place-based anchor institutions, including healthcare systems, to reorient their business practices (including procurement, hiring, and investment) to benefit local neighborhoods and build community wealth for low- and moderate-income families and residents.
This position would support The Democracy Collaborative’s Community Wealth Building Initiative—community-wealth.org—with a primary focus on connecting the fields of community economic development, public health and healthcare. This position offers a unique opportunity to advance innovative, multi-sector policy and best practices that can have a transformative impact on local economies and low-income communities.
- Provide research and logistical support to projects focused on the intersection of community economic development, public health and healthcare institutions. Work to articulate this work from a Community Wealth Building perspective.
- Write policy memos, briefs, reports, summaries, blogs and other publications.Assist in organizing logistics and planning content for conferences, webinars and meetings of various sizes.
- Conduct one-on-one and focus group interviews.
- Update and write new content for the Community-Wealth.org website as is related to this work.Assist with other ongoing projects and research for papers and reports as needed.
- A willingness to work flexible hours independently with clear deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to travel (with varying frequency).
- Experience and/or knowledge in the fields of community-based economic development and/or public health (or related health care issues).
- Strongly articulated interest in and commitment to sustainable and equitable development and positive social change.
- Demonstrated excellence in writing and communication. (Specifically, having the ability to convey relevant information concisely and clearly for multiple, distinct audiences.)
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the capacity to work constructively in teams.
- Demonstrated experience with conducting research and interviews.
- An ability to work with diverse audiences, including local government, community-based groups, as well as anchor institution, philanthropic, nonprofit and business sectors.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 4 years relevant experience or Master’s Degree plus 2 year relevant experience.
- Background and understanding of Community Wealth Building.
- Background and understanding regarding the business practices of healthcare institutions.
If interested, please send a resume, cover letter, and a 3- to 5-page writing sample to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin December 19, although applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled. Expected start date is mid-to-late January 2015.
Starting salary ranges between $40,000 and $50,000, commensurate with background and experience. The position also includes a generous benefits package. The position is full time and is based in Takoma Park, Maryland.
The Democracy Collaborative is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to a diverse workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.